Thursday, December 2, 2010

Geocaching

I don't think regular Geocaching is appropriate for libraries. It's a lot of fun, but really, other than just getting people into the building I don't see much point.

However, we could maybe apply the principle small scale within the library, or even within a library system. Maybe the older sport/hobby of letterboxing could also be used, where a the participant carries a logbook and collects stamps. This could be used as an interbranch/library way to get people to visit libraries that they otherwise wouldn't.

I have gone geocaching before and it has always been lots of fun, and never have we found anything nasty or inappropriate in the boxes. Once again, like any sort of unregulated or democratic sort of activity, I think that you will infrequently have problems because 99% of people are normal, good folks just like everyone else. A bit like the Internet really.

6 comments:

  1. Wow do we want to encourage inter library visits I'm not sure about that hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's encouraging to hear you've never found anything nasty. That's something I was wondering about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked at the Geocaching Australia site and on first glance it looks well monitored and well used. That should keep the nasties to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - someone who has actually heard of geochashing before now!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am trawling the blogs before I do this section on Geocaching as I have never heard of it before

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too. I haven't posted yet, am trying to learn as much as possible about Geocaching from everyone else before I do.

    ReplyDelete