Thursday, December 2, 2010

Boh, I'll miss you, little blog.

So, I'm pretty sure that is the Web 2.0 Training all wrapped up. Although I never have written a blog before, I've become kinda attached to this one. Maybe I'll even miss it.

I would consider myself pretty technology and web savvy, and this course has forced me to further investigate things which I otherwise had a general, but not particular deep knowledge of. Which is great.
I think I will definitely keep my Twitter account, but personally, the rest of the accounts I created will fall by the wayside.

Out of all of this I have realised how useful a wiki an be in organising internal information. Something which I really think my library system could do with. I always have and always will think that blogs and social media have a huge part to play in libraries and I really hope that some of the opposition to online and digital resources will dissolve away in libraries over time.

People really need to remember that all technology evolves, and to not use online resources is really stupid. What if people refused to use magazines, or DVDs or audio in libraries? What if we had kept libraries as private institutions only for the rich? Libraries are against censorship - why passively stop our patrons accessing information just because it is online or in a different format?

And as a parting thought, here is something for everyone to remember: Information overload, the early years - Five centuries years ago, a new technology swamped the world with data. What we can learn from the aftermath.

W00t!

5 comments:

  1. Remember you can continue to use this blog if you like. It's your blog to do what you wish with :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knows what the future holds,the technologies we have just visited might be things of the past by then.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be interesting to see in 6 months time which accounts people are actually still using

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder how many of us will continue with all that blogging. I dont thik I will unless I have a purpose to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some insightful thoughts to wrap it all up. I agree that format doesnt matter, access to any all information is what libraries are about.

    ReplyDelete