Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Facebook

Okay, this blog can be a short one after my thoughts on Twitter.

I use Facebook socially, and I find it a really quick, convenient way to keep in touch with friends, especially the ones who do not live close to me. I regularly share links, photos and messages with people on Facebook and have never had any problem with security. But then again, I personally set my security settings, make sure everything is private, only add friends who I know personally, and don't usually post anything I wouldn't want my family or colleagues to see.

I'm not convinced of the application of Facebook in Libraries. Personally, I'm not someone who would 'friend' a library on Facebook, and I would seriously question the cost benefit of running one for a average sized public library.

Dispite this, I'm very sure that in the future other networking sites will spring up with different formats and functions which will be very important to the development of libraries and our relationship with our patrons.

1 comment:

  1. I think the fact that so many people use and are familiar with Facebook makes it a viable promotional tool for libraries.

    ReplyDelete